top of page
  • Bobbi Glenn

Have you been a victim of unemployment fraud?

Updated: Apr 7, 2021

If you received unemployment paperwork, a 1099-G form, or a US Bank Relia card you did not request, then you have likely been a victim of the recent unemployment fraudulent claims.

Protect yourself!

Here are 4 steps recommended by the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment to report fraud & Identity Theft.

1. First, submit an Identity Theft Report with the Colorado Department of Labor & Employment

2. Next, deactivate the U.S. Bank Relia card by filling out the U.S Bank Form.

3. Contact the four consumer credit bureaus, request a free report at and put a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number (SSN). A fraud alert warns creditors that you may be an identity theft victim and that they should verify that anyone seeking credit in your name really is you.

Credit Bureau Contact Info

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

Experian: 1-888-397-3742

Innovis: 1-800-540-2505

TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289

4. Create a file where you can keep records of this identity theft in one place.

Learn more at


Here are some additional tips to help control your credit

1. Consider putting a freeze on your files. A credit freeze makes it harder for someone to open a new account in your name. Keep in mind that a credit freeze won’t prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts. Fees vary, but they commonly range from $5-$10 per bureau. After receiving your freeze request, each credit reporting company will send you a confirmation letter containing a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. Keep the PIN or password in a safe place. You will need it if you choose to lift the freeze.

2. Consider opting out of prescreened credit offers. If you want to stop getting prescreened offers of credit, call 888-5OPTOUT (888-567-8688) or go online to You can opt out for 5 years or permanently. Make sure you know the pros & cons before opting out.

3. File your taxes early — as soon as you have the tax information you need, before a scammer can. Tax identity theft happens when someone uses your Social Security number to get a tax refund or a job. Respond to letters from the IRS, but don’t take phone calls from the IRS as valid; they will never call you. Once you receive a letter, contact your CPA and they can help guide you through the process to see if it’s legit.

69 views0 comments
bottom of page